Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The ministry of womanhood....Part I

As I listened to my friend pour out her heart, I saw the tears form in her eyes. “I gave up everything. I’m married to the military. I had a great career and gave it up for this, and now I’ve lost who I am.” My heart ached for her and the hurt she was carrying; the insignificance, thankless hours of mothering, the many transitions of her military life, and the overwhelming feelings of loneliness in her marriage and life. Her feelings of insignificance and the loss of identity resonated in my own heart. I realized that her words were the same battle I had been fighting for many years, through different stages and seasons of life, but becoming a mother has been particularly challenging for me

First, let me say that the Bible is the first and only place you need look to find significance. I have found this to be true and trustworthy. My son, and only child, is not far from four, and since he was born, I have struggled with my role as a mother. Daily, I find new truths, hope and joy in God's Word, and I know that is the only place one needs to look. Whether you are a mother or not, do you believe you are exactly where you need to be, doing exactly what God needs you to do? In Ephesians 1:11 Paul writes God "works all things according to the counsel of his will." He didn't accidentally make me a mother; He planned it and wanted it in His plan. Wherever you are, he has worked it all according to His plan and His will. Do you trust that? 

Second, if you are a follower of Jesus Christ, he has specifically designed good works for you to do (Ephesians 2:10). We are God's workmanship, he created us "for good works" and "we should walk in them." Wherever you are, God has you there for a purpose. We recently received orders from the Army to move, ultimately by God's Hand, we are moving hundreds of miles away. Just the other day, a friend reminded me that this move is going to open all new areas of ministry for me and Adam. As much as I dreaded this move in the beginning, I eagerly await what God has in store for us in this move because He has work for me there - as a mother, as a wife, as a military family and in more ways that I won't know until He shows me. 

The final thing I want to share for today is this verse, "Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time..." (Ephesians 5:15-16). As mothers, as wives, as single women, as military or non-military families, we need to take our work seriously and make the best use of our time. I know that I need to prioritize my life, look at what God has set before me, and where my focus has to be... and right now, it's the little boys jumping off the stairs... so take a few minutes today, soak up God's Word, reflect where he has placed you and what he has placed before you. Prioritize, and if you feel like it, please share those priorities with me (as well as any hope or significance you've found in Christ - I'd LOVE to hear about it). You can e-mail me at alkbpotter@gmail.com. 

"Lord, forgive my brevity in prayer today, as you've blessed me with the opportunity to spend my morning with three little hearts full of fearlessness and adventure. Bless us as women to see your hand at work in our lives. Motivate us to live for you, finding our significance only in you and your love. Thank you, Jesus, for your sacrifice and love - YOU have proven that I am worth it to you, even when I don't deserve it. May we share your love with those around use today. In Jesus Name, Amen." 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the reminder of how I could be using more of my time :0) and as always, for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete