Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Love is...

I am not patient with Caedmon, especially when he nags, cries and whines. 

I am rude to Adam, especially when things don't go my way. 

I am irritable. I am resentful. I do not  bear all things or endure all things with a heart of patience or hope. Did I mention I get irritable? 

I don't always act in love. 

This morning, I wrote these thoughts in my journal, after reading some of God's Word:

"Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 1 Corinthians 13:4-7

It is easy to lose sight of the gospel, to lose sight of our sin and become arrogant in our success. It's easy to look at this verse at weddings and reflect on the awesomeness of love, but our day to day doesn't change. After this morning, however, I have a new perspective on this verse.To me, this scripture is an easy place to start for recognizing areas of improvement in my life, recognizing sin and changing my life to better reflect Jesus.  

We are commanded in Matthew 22:37-39 to "love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all our soul and with all your mind," as well as to "love your neighbor as yourself." My neighbor includes my husband, my brother in Christ; it includes my child; it includes my literal neighbors; it even calls us to love those who persecute you (Matthew 5:44). 

If I am to love even my enemies, I definitely need to work on acting in love to my own spouse and child - whom are much easier to love even in the whining, misunderstandings and bad dinners. 

We must remember that our situation isn't hopeless. I must remember that my situation isn't hopeless; I have hope when I'm not acting lovingly. I have this hope in the power that God leaves with us by his Holy Spirit. By His Spirit, we are able to resist sin; we are empowered and given guidance (John 16:8-11). So, when I'm not acting lovingly, I can approach God, confessing my sin, leaving it at the cross and finding new strength to resist sin and be loving in the Holy Spirit. 

Through Christ, I will be patient with Caedmon, especially when he nags, cries and whines. 

Through Christ, I will not be rude to Adam, especially when things don't go my way. 

Through Christ, I am pleasant. I am thankful. I bear all things and endure all things with a heart of patience and hope. 

Through Christ, I act in love. 

1 comment:

  1. I can definitely relate Kirstie. It is so easy to disregard how our reactions effect those around us especially the ones we hold closest to our hearts. The expectation can easily be for them to just deal with it b/c that's just the way we are but who exactly do we think we are? We are children of the most high and we are fully capable of changing this behavior with God's help. Change takes time and with continued practice our patience will grow. Thanks for sharing this ~Kanisha

    ReplyDelete