Sunday, March 30, 2014

I buried my face in my hands for the hundredth time this week, feeling overwhelmed, alone, and frightened by yet another unknown as we faced our future move. You see, we bought our first home in May, in a small village of great neighbors. Within three short months, Adam received military orders to move. To move not only from our first home, our families within a days' drive, but the new friendships we had been searching for the last several months. It would all change, and now seven months later, when the move seemed less frightening, our home renting situation changed and we were starting over from square one - interviewing property managers, adjusting finances, planning our own move,looking for a new place to live hundreds of miles away, and now we had to find new renters for our home. What makes it all worse is that because of Adam's intense coursework for his new position, he's unable to help me. So, I am interviewing property managers; I am looking for housing across the country; I am cleaning and organizing the house for showings; I am managing the budget and paying bills; I am entertaining and conversing with our young son, and he isn't able to help me. 

I give up. 

Then, three things happened today. First, God reminds me that he is a God of compassion. Compassion defined by Merriam-Webster means "a feeling of wanting to help someone" or "sympathetic consciousness of others' distress together with a desire to alleviate it." Isaiah 54:10 reminded me, not only that the Lord has compassion on me, but that his steadfast love doesn't leave me, nor does his covenant of peace. No matter where I am, no matter how I feel, God's great love, unending love, it's ever present. His love, his peace, and his compassion are upon me. Praise the Lord! 

Second, I was introduced to a new friend today, who has just begun her first blog. Check out Kayla's blog at learning to be a godly wife. Kayla isn't a local friend, in fact, my Uncle Tim introduced us via facebook, and I don't know where Kayla lives! It was God's reminder to me that friendships that are God-given transcend distance. As a military spouse, I should always remember this, as some of my dearest friends are hundreds of miles away. But, God used this new friend to encourage me, whether she knows that or not. 

Third, I read another blog LIFE AS OF LATE, where she wisely writes, 

"I can hear God saying, 'It’s. about. time. You don’t have enough patience. You don’t have enough energy. You don’t have enough gentleness. But you know who does? Me. And I’m happy to lend you some of mine…but do you know how much I give you? Enough for today. Enough for this moment. Enough that you’ll need me again tomorrow. And the next day, and every day for the rest of your life.' "

2 Corinthians 12:10 reads, "For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses...for when I am weak, then I am strong." This is the prayer I have for myself this week, to be content with weakness, to be content with my inability to do it all, to let Christ work through me that all that IS accomplished is by and for His glory. 

I hope that my raw, rough, and poorly constructed sharing this evening encourages you if you are feeling alone, lost, or weak this evening and this week. We have a compassionate Lord that steadfastly loves us and cares for us, offering peace when we need it the most. He thrives in our weakness, and may we find contentment in that weakness. 

I want to make it a habit to close my writing in prayer, so please join me. 

"Lord, I want to thank you for the work you are doing with this small blog. I hope that whomever reads this is encouraged, as well as strengthened knowing your love, peace, and compassion are always present when we feel the weakest. Let us be content in our weakness and earnestly ask and seek your help this week. Thank you, Jesus, for the relationship we are able to have with you because of the cross; let us never forget the sacrifice and suffering you endured for your great love for us. Thank you, Jesus. In Your Precious Name, Amen." 

No comments:

Post a Comment