Thursday, January 30, 2014

Spiritual Gifts and Practical Uses

I apologize for not sharing my follow-up earlier, but time, as usual, is a rare commodity, and quite honestly, I had important people to focus on - Adam and Caedmon. I hope you understand that, and I am sure you also have important people and things in your life. Back from my brief tangent, I wanted to share my results assessments I took, and to some this may be a surprise and to others it seemed crystal clear.

Before taking the assessment, I first asked my husband what he expected my spiritual gifts to be; his response was discernment and administration, and I would have been honored to have the gift of discernment. I didn't. My top two gifts are mercy and encouragement, followed by a two-way tie for third with knowledge and faith. I have a difficult time to admit that I have those qualities; I have a hard time seeing that I am really good at anything though. I want to avoid being proud, and in the end, I find that I only degrade and belittle myself and my a God-given abilities.  When I limit myself, am I limiting God's abilities to use me?

If you do not know already, I am still new and still nervous about the "blog scene"; constantly I question my abilities to write, encourage and share Jesus' love and compassion with others. And, after nearly a year or two of "thinking" about writing and talking about writing, I am finally doing. For nearly two years I did not act. When I think about the time I could have been growing in my teaching or writing or encouraging abilities, it saddens me. I also realize that by not acting, I doubted God's abilities to use me and the gifts he has given me.

Is there something on your heart that you feel God leading you to do?  If so, I would love to hear about it; I would love to hear about you spiritual gifts, too. More importantly than telling me, it is essential that you stop "thinking" and start trying, finding avenues to use your gifts. As we are told in Romans 12:6-8, by grace we are given different gifts and let us do them!

No comments:

Post a Comment